Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] New to Sudbury-Cottage Grove, OR

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu May 29 15:38:01 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003 13:49:04 -0400, "Kelly Reynolds"
<kellyrey_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:

>This is an issue I have been having trouble with. I love the whole concept
>of Sudbury, but I do have a problem with the attendance requirement. Do all
>the Sudbury model schools have an attendance requirement? Are they at all
>flexible about this rule?
>
>Kelly Reynolds

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts (SVS locale) has a school enrollment
law with an implicit attendance requirement. SVS complies with the
law in its jurisdiction.

Further, enrollment at SVS makes one a part of a self governing
community with its unique culture. If one's attendance is such that
one is not a part of the community, the School can certainly ask
itself the question, why is this individual enrolled? And if it can't
find an answer to this question that is legitimate (to the School), it
might take steps to disenroll the individual.

I believe, most, if not all, Sudbury Schools must deal with similar
issues.

Mike Sadofsky