[Discuss-sudbury-model] Assessment of Booroobin

From: Carol Hughes <carolhughes1_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat May 17 13:03:01 2003

Hi Derek,
You said, "comfortable middle class situations, etc, to the extent that it lacks vigor and energy and does not support different things and initiatives" as the cultural climate you are dealing with. Here in New England the traditions are at their core very much worshipped. People in this area are tearing down half million dollar houses and building 2 million dollar homes to replace them. How else, I wonder could they express their power? The natural human drive for excellence has been translated into acquiring excellent possessions.

Personally I go for excellence in experiences. I ran across a quote today "If everything on earth was rational, nothing would ever happen", Fyodor Dostoyevsky. When dealing with the Accreditation Board, their attempt to "measure" your school is at its premise an irony, since you are attempting to introduce an educational system which empowers the student to create and manifest his/her own value system. Perhaps it can be suggested to their board that a person qualified to assess your school would need some experience in progressive educational theories, some background in psychology, philosophy, any science which is perceived to be ever-changing.

Would it be possible to come up with your own questionnaire presented to them for review of the quality of what you are doing? Years ago I home-schooled for a few years. The town I live in required monthly reports on my children's "school". We live on a lake. So I would watch my boys as they gazed on the lake for hours feeding the ducks and standing there next to tall trees and under the sun. Wish I still had the "academic" description of this scenario. Some of my best creative writing was brought to bare on this. Botany, biology, sports, General Science can all be gleaned from such a scene. What I realized is that the administrators needed a language to fill in the blanks of their forms that was familiar and comfortable. In one report I indicated that my seven year old had learned his twelves tables (which incidentally he just spontaneously started to do with nary a math class). The feedback from them was, but did he know his numbers 1-18. Still scratching my head over that one. How on earth would he be able to do the twelves table without those numbers? In point of fact, we had visited the very excellent Museum of Fine Arts the day before. I've long noted that children/people need a lot of assimilation time (perhaps even a few days) after enriching experiences. My son was sitting there in the living room in a dreamy kind of state and staring at our french door that had twelve panes of glass and out popped the tables. That moment is emblazoned in my mind. He taught me, this seven year old, how the mind works when it is given time and quality experience.

Another sort of trick I've learned in negotiating with closed-minded people is to present information to them in a way that they can bring it to someone else that makes them look good. It's an old sales trick I read about years ago. You tell the prospective "customer", after qualifying them with a few questions, just what ammunition they need to go home and convince someone else what a great idea it is to buy whatever. And selling is what you must do, like it or not. There's a great book, "How to Negotiate Anything" by Cohen. He talks about different cultures in it as well.

It is really tough to deal with an agency that is really trying to "police" you. Expressing sympathy to their representative, such as, "This must be difficult for you to assess, given that our theories are sooo very new, progressive, and daring" Who doesn't want to be perceived as new progressive and daring?

Hang in there. Every time there has been controversy in our family and school life it has been an incredible opportunity for our children to learn great negotiating skills.

Our oldest son had to deal with the college he is attending losing accreditation because of political games. 80% of the student body dropped out. He decided to stick it out. The issue has been resolved in court. The students are coming back. It was very painful and difficult to stay at the school. But, I believe it is precisely because he was raised to make his own decisions, be part of the process, and come from strength instead of fear that he was able to make the choice to stay and now he is flourishing there.

I hope this helps somewhat. Let me know what perspective writing might be helpful to you to present to others. You know, the parent's perspective, the teacher's perspective, the student... etc. It couldn't hurt to have them get emails from us trailblazers from all over the world.

All the best,
Carol