Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Another assessment of Booroobin

From: The Booroobin Sudbury School / Derek Sheppard <derek.sheppard_at_booroobinschool.com.au>
Date: Sat May 17 06:56:00 2003

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your response.

I have read and appreciated what you have said in other forums. Your breadth and extent of experience is refreshing. You might note that this afternoon I'll be picking up 2 good friends, recent SVS Graduates, who will be spending some time with us in their second visit.

It is good to have comment on what we say on our web site. We appreciate constructive input. Almost everything that goes on to our web site, has been considered by all Staff, the Chairperson of our Assembly and some Students. We are clearly alone in what we have to say and do in education, in Australia. What is written is intended to be challenging, but also real, in the context of our culture. Although both countries are democratic, there is a different evolutionary developments in Oz that makes our society different. And for Americans coming here, it can be refreshing; but having worked and lived here all my life and travelled and read lots and lots, we are simply too laid back. People in Oz are so comfortable with their lot, their typically comfortable middle class situations, etc, to the extent that it lacks vigour and energy and does not support different things and initiatives. It is changing, but slowly. That's why, for instance, most inventors and until recently many of our brightest people including scientists go overseas to get the support that they need to actually get things done. So the words are intended to wake up people from their slumber. The words might change over time, because we're still youthful compared to the maturity of Sudbury. I will bring your thoughts to the attention of our PR Committee.

I'd suggest that you consider drafting something, but it is important to orchestrate any communications, so that they are the most effective for us. Timing will be considered by both our SM and PR Committee.

Regards, Derek Sheppard
The Booroobin Sudbury School - a centre of learning
www.booroobinschool.com.au
Ph +61 07 5499 9944 Fax +61 07 3251 0470
Homestay boarding accommodation
Ph +61 07 5499 9943