Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] post-secondary

From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Sat Apr 26 16:22:00 2003

The point with academic studies overall is not that they do or don't offer
some kind of apparent-illusive-pseudo freedoms: freedom of learning,
academic freedom and/or any other kind of freedoms. The point is that
universities are monopolies. As you sure know monopolies inflate and/or
concert prices for their own profite and without the need to face free
competition and to deal with a free market. In a similar manner - but with
an almost unlimited support -- universities inflate the apparent/pretended
value of studies and of degrees and hold the exclusiveness of permitting or
preventing people to practice specific professions and/or trades. All this
is accomplished by the initiative and support of governments who "play the
game" and make rules that permit the practice of these professions or trades
by persons that hold an academic or other degree granted/conferred by some
institution of education, and prevent and/or limit the practice of these
professions or trades by people that don't hold one.
I believe you will agree with me that this situation is indeed a very
non-proper and undesirable one considering we want to achieve some kind of
justice and to get closer to some kind of equal opportunity in our
societies.

~ David