Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Torn over sending our son to Fairfield School a Sudbury Valley Mo deled School

From: Lora Peers <lora_at_tokay.com>
Date: Tue Apr 1 18:23:01 2003

To my mind the choice is not so much a function of where your child will be
happiest as it is an inner examination of what you believe about learning -
about time - about core knowledge - so many things are at the base of this
choice. For any system you choose the emotional and intellectual support of
the parent will be fundamental to the child's happiness.
.
1. Do you believe there is a pre-identified core base of knowledge every
child should master?
2. Do you believe there is a time table for academic learning and if the
time table is not adhered to do you think leaning might suffer?
3. Are there character skills you place value on? (like independence,
reliability, self-determination, etc.)
4. Do you feel an educational facility plays a roll in character skill
development? If so how?
4. If 'push comes to shove' do you place greater value on the academic
skills or the character skills?

Lora Peers