Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] post-secondary

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun Mar 16 13:17:00 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:32:13 -0400, Mary Macdonald <dmmd_at_eastlink.ca>
wrote:

>Greetings all:
>I need help with something that has been bothering me for several
>years: When SVS grads go on to post-secondary institutions, how do they
>cope
>with the traditional structure? In my experience, most colleges and
>universities are every bit as restrictive as public schools -- adult
>'experts'
>directing the learning through lecture style instruction, required
>courses, assinine assignments and so on. How do students who have been
>free to
>follow their own passions accept this kind of environment?

From my conversations with SVS grads as well as my readings of
interviews with others, I believe that SVS grads function quite well
in these (and other) structured surroundings. There are several
reasons for this.

1. SVS grads have learned that they (individually) are responsible
for the course of their lives. They know that regardless of what kind
of curriculum has been described by someone else, they must make sense
of it and learn and assimilate the information in order to make sense
of it and be able to use and apply it.

2. When SVS grads select and enroll in a college or university, they
(typically) have concluded that this is a step they have chosen on a
particular path. They have selected a course of study (in accordance
with their own goals) and have selected this college or university for
specific reasons.

3. Because of 1 and 2 they are ready and willing to accept that there
will be some arbitrary 'hurdles' they will need to surmount in order
to meet their larger goals.

Incidentally, those "adult 'experts'" as you describe them cannot
really "direct the learning." They may present material in some way
and require certain responses in the class and course, but the real
learning, if you'll permit me, occurs in the individual and can be
accommodated in accordance with one's personal style.

>I'm also wondering if there are post-secondary institutions that
>function on a similar philosophy to Sudbury Valley? I haven't been able
>to locate
>any.

I am hardly an expert on the college and university scene, but some
folks talk about Hampshire and Goddard having a self-directed
structure. And depending on what one wants, St. Johns may be a school
to consider.

Mike Sadofsky