[Discuss-sudbury-model] post-secondary

From: Mary Macdonald <dmmd_at_eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun Mar 16 12:23:01 2003

Greetings all:
I need help with something that has been bothering me for several
years: When SVS grads go on to post-secondary institutions, how do they
cope
with the traditional structure? In my experience, most colleges and
universities are every bit as restrictive as public schools -- adult
'experts'
directing the learning through lecture style instruction, required
courses, assinine assignments and so on. How do students who have been
free to
follow their own passions accept this kind of environment?

I'm also wondering if there are post-secondary institutions that
function on a similar philosophy to Sudbury Valley? I haven't been able
to locate
any.

Mary MacDonald