Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On Playing Frogger

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed Mar 5 10:12:00 2003

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:56:23 -0700, "Jennifer Hughes"
<jen-huck_at_attbi.com> wrote:

>To: <discuss-sudbury-model_at_sudval.org>
>Subject: Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On Playing Frogger
>From: "Jennifer Hughes" <jen-huck_at_attbi.com>
>Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:56:23 -0700
>
>From: "Mike Sadofsky" <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
>> Does the Sudbury model work "in family life?" Why should it? It is a
>> model of a democratically operated school where children are free to
>> pursue their interests (within the rules of the state and the
>> democratically established rules of the institution). What does this
>> have to do with "family life?"
>
>Thanks for your reply! I guess I was thinking not so much about the school
>meetings, JC, rules, etc, as I was thinking about the reason a DSM school
>has these things...the basic premise of respecting the child as an
>individual and not coercing them. This is why I asked: how does this play
>out in family life for families that have children attending schools based
>on this model?
>
>Jen

I am still rather uncertain about what you are asking, but perhaps
this current article about the Fairfield Sudbury School (Nova Scotia)
will provide some perspective.
http://www.theatlanticco-operator.coop/youth.htm

In addition, you might want to check out the 25th Anniversary
perspective (on the SVS website --
http://www.sudval.org/texts/5alumni.ram) where 5 alumni speak and
respond to questions.

Studies of former students and alumni also exist. See the SVS Book
List (http://www.sudval.org/books.html) and in particular:
Legacy of Trust,
Kingdom of Childhood,
The View from Inside.