Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On Playing Frogger

From: Heidi Crane <bunsofaluminum60_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 2 22:56:00 2003

>From: "Ann Ide" <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
>Heidi,
>
>Am I getting the right impression that your family is rather isolated?

Yes, we live 10 minutes from the nearest town...it incorporates 300 people,
including the countryside surrounding it. One grocery store, a post office,
a public school. 99.99% LDS, which we are not, further isolating us as we
don't have like-minded people to share our religious beliefs, in the
neighborhood. The town we go to church in is 15 minutes away, and it has 400
people! L Lava Hot Springs. You can google it and find it online, as it is a
resort town.

If
>so, I think that makes a big difference here. I think these discussions
>have been in the context of kids being in a school, or, at the very least,
>with other kids around.

Yeah, I've brought that up in the past week or so...how do you make it work,
when your kids don't have a lot of diverse individuals and knowledgeable
adults around them to interact with....well, TV videos would bring diversity
in, right?

And they have a rich environment. Outside, a treehouse, a chicken coop with
a dozen red hens, five horses in the field behind us, a road to walk on
WHERE A BALD EAGLE LIVES!!!, bikes, a river right down the road where you
can see raccoon tracks in the mud or climb a huge old tree and read while
the river glides by, some decent hikes just a 20 minute drive away, a
riparian valley that is a stopping spot for pelicans, great blue herons,
sandhill cranes, and even swans, and the aforementioned eagles, hawks,
falcons, meadowlarks, and owls at night. The STARS!!! A garden. Etc.

Inside, there's a piano, guitar, recorder, and Irish flute, CD's and tapes
with a wide variety of music, a very good, well-rounded library, including a
  humanities course in the form of a full set of Harvard classics, a
kitchen, paints and paintbrushes, art paper, scissors, glue, tissue paper,
clay, wooden blocks, Legos, math manipulatives galore, cleaning supplies, a
dog and three cats, math textbooks, calligraphy and origami and candle
making and cheese making instructions, lots of closets, lots of blankets,
sleeping bags, pillows. places to be alone, or the materials for making
alone spots...

But we never will have the human diversity that Sudbury or any school like
it has. It's our family, and a few neighbors up the road, and the people we
go to church with, and some families we are friends with who we see once in
awhile.

>With homeschooling, I imagine they sort of blur together. I'm not sure if
>it's really relevant to our current discussions; because those are about
>some very basic principles about learning you need to get clear about no
>matter what.

Before "discovering" unschooling/learner directed education, we were pretty
much following Robinson. His is a simple philosophy, not one I'd even call a
curriculum, per se. Three subjects: Math, Reading, and Writing. Math was
Saxon; reading was their own choice from the Robinson list (high quality
books with complex sentences and complex plot lines, to work their brains)
and writing whatever they wanted to write.

So, their own choice has been a large part of our home education for quite
some time. Math has been the only thing I've "made" them do. My readers just
haven't needed to be "made" to read. My littlest (eight) isn't reading yet.

Ah, but! my littlest also has never been "made" to do math...and she spent a
morning or two just last week, in her "office", doing subtraction from a
workbook we have. I taught her how to write her numbers, and what each
number meant, and did some hands-on simple addition. She figured out
subtraction on her own...hmmm. Which brings up this point again:

>very basic principles about learning you need to get clear about no
>matter what.

I've observed it in my girls. One who has always flown verbally, and now my
youngest, figuring out math on her own.

My boy, though. My boy! mr. computer head. It's almost like I can trust my
older girl, who is already self-teaching in her fields of interest, and
looking successful academically, and my little girl, who has demonstrated
that a kid will pick up math without lots of forcing, but I'm wanting to
stand between my boy and what he wants to do. If only he "wanted" to do
something that looked more academic. L

If you go to some other DSM archives, you'll find
>discussions about how we run our homes/families and how that is sometimes
>different than "school". It took us some adjusting to find our own family
>comfort with how the Sudbury model worked in family life differently than
>in
>school. It's still a big part of our family lifestyle; but it does not
>mimic their day at school.

Howeve, it does seem like your situational context is not the
>same as being in a Sudbury school. Having other kids around and staff who
>aren't your parents must make a big difference. It would be useful to you
>to hear from people who have done both, or who have found a way to combine
>the two models.
>
>Just more to consider! Just what you need, huh? :)

Yeah! keep it coming! It's all going in and getting added to the mix. When
the baking's done, what will I have?

thanks, Ann

peace, Heidi