Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] The problem is balance . . .

From: Tom Hall <tom_hall_at_harvard.edu>
Date: Sun Mar 2 19:46:00 2003

Heidi wrote:
>Yes, I agree. Peter's answer was most helpful. We're trying to find a
>balance. In fact, we're going to be having regular family meetings,
>modeled after Sudbury school meetings, as read about on the website. Maybe
>not weekly, but at least two times per month. Fully democratic. No rule
>goes into effect without unanimity. Well, with only five people a simple
>majority is...well, we parents are going to be voted down, eh? LOL So that
>family life doesn't get overrun by individual lives.

One thing that you might want to consider is that the democratic processes
that are so necessary and useful in a large organization like a school, may
not be so necessary or useful for a small group like a family. TCS and
Common Preference Parenting may give you some ideas of a different way of
parenting that's much more in line with the SVS ideas about autonomy and
non-coercive learning when you are dealing with a family environment.

Here's some links, if you're interested:
http://www.TCS.ac/