Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On Playing Frogger

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Sun Mar 2 18:06:00 2003

Heidi,

Am I getting the right impression that your family is rather isolated? If
so, I think that makes a big difference here. I think these discussions
have been in the context of kids being in a school, or, at the very least,
with other kids around. If you go to some other DSM archives, you'll find
discussions about how we run our homes/families and how that is sometimes
different than "school". It took us some adjusting to find our own family
comfort with how the Sudbury model worked in family life differently than in
school. It's still a big part of our family lifestyle; but it does not
mimic their day at school.

With homeschooling, I imagine they sort of blur together. I'm not sure if
it's really relevant to our current discussions; because those are about
some very basic principles about learning you need to get clear about no
matter what. Howeve, it does seem like your situational context is not the
same as being in a Sudbury school. Having other kids around and staff who
aren't your parents must make a big difference. It would be useful to you
to hear from people who have done both, or who have found a way to combine
the two models.

Just more to consider! Just what you need, huh? :)

Ann