RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On Playing Frogger

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Sun Mar 2 12:03:00 2003

I absolutely agree that there a plenty of fun and useful things a person
can do in addition to playing games. However I don't think that's
really the essential debate that takes place in the heads of most
prospective Sudbury parents.

The debate is whether they are willing to lose the rewards of having
their children decide for *themselves* what is important for them to do,
in order for them to do make them do some specific thing that may or may
not be more valuable for them.

My position, based on experience, is that the rewards of allowing
children to be responsible for governing their lives far outweighs any
particular value I put on a given activity AND it's kind of silly,
because when my children are adults they will likely mimic many of the
things I modeled for them when they were young anyway.

So I could sit around weighing the various value of activities all day,
but the abstract, relative differences in value between random
activities are not really relevent to the question of whether to repress
the child's innate self-learner or not.

-joe