[Discuss-sudbury-model] On Playing Frogger

From: Heidi Crane <bunsofaluminum60_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 2 11:38:01 2003

Me again *sheesh*

Some of my best "marinating" is when I'm folding laundry or scrubbing the
kitchen or kneading the day's bread dough. When I sat down to play computer,
nothing was being improved. The kitchen wasn't getting clean; the laundry
was not folding itself.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with recreational activities,
(how much laundry is being folded while I read, e.g.) I do think letting the
brain mull something over while doing some useful thing...maybe not even
useful, but maybe taking a walk (another of my favorite "thinking things
over" venues) or practicing piano or calligraphy.

See the difference? If I had chosen to let my subconscious ruminate on
whatever it was, while...swimming! running the vacuum! taking a walk!
playing with clay! perfecting the third movement of Maple Leaf Rag on the
piano! mopping the bathroom floors! washing the windows! combing the dog!
patching my husband's jeans! cleaning out the fridge! baking a batch of
ginger snaps! pulling weeds! making a candle shelter! cutting out
snowflakes! writing a letter!

the list goes on, of productive, interesting, useful, things to DO.
Physically oriented things that get something accomplished WHILE the
brainwork is chugging away subconsciously.

so, my earlier post about Frogger and brainstorming...well, there are so
many more useful things that need doing, and the brain can still storm.
Frogger seems wasteful in that light.

peace, Heidi

http://hillermethod.com/bunso
Lose Weight Without Dieting!