RE: RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] sudbury/summerhill

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Sun Mar 2 08:13:01 2003

Michael, I didn't catch in your message what in this you disagreed:

> <<Those kids that succeed in public school would most likely
> succeed in SVS. Some of those that choose not to perform in
> public school may turnaround in SVS, most would simply choose
> not to go to school.>>

I can say that having lived and worked in both systems for a number
years, given time and space in Sudbury, the first sentence in the above
is positively true.

The reason behind the Sudbury culture is that the conventional system
changes students into people that do not have the will to educate
themselves, and are dependent on others to know what to learn and when.

And our experience is, given enough time in a Sudbury school, those
students who have learned how to "work the system" in conventional
schools gradually decompress and rediscover the two things that make a
self-learner: the curiosity and will to learn (that was always there,
just subverted during the years that learning was coerced and
persuaded), and the inner voice that informs a student where their
passions lie (that too was always there, just drowned out by external
voices.).

> Some of those that choose not to perform in
> public school may turnaround in SVS, most would simply choose
> not to go to school.>>

This phenomina is true, to a limited extent. We have gotten a good
share of students that fit this category. There are two or three of
them that essentially didn't want to be there and ended up leaving
having not had the time to get "the cart back behind the horse". But
for these two or three, we have had 20 that fit the description who have
stayed and are really thriving.

I think it is sometimes very difficult for students who are exceedingly
bitter about their previous schooling experiences to see that Fairhaven
isn't just another "adult trick", that we don't pretend to let them do
what they want and then suddenly say, "all right, play time is over,
let's get back to work". Some of our refugee students take a year
waiting for that to happen. Of course it doesn't even occur to the
"lifers" that it would ever happen, so in that regard they are
fortunate.

-joe