RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] What about TV and Computer Games?

From: Heidi Crane <bunsofaluminum60_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 1 16:52:01 2003

Yeah, I know Tswift isn't real life...but when my boy is reading, his brain
is doing something that is SO higher order. *So Cerebral* I just can't
believe that the brain work involved in playing a computer game is the same
quality as the brain work involved in reading. At least in reading, you're
having to imagine the characters' looks all by yourself. Your own brain,
making it up. And I'd say, it's more than just having to think up what a
character looks like. I think there's a touching of minds, when you're
reading.

Case in point. Tolkien, my favorite author, and my daughter's. She has been
absorbed in Middle Earth for five years, and for the past couple of years,
in Peter Jackson's version of Middle Earth. But it's Tolkien she really
loves, and I think reading him, re-reading him, studying the languages he
invented, poring over his maps, reading about his life... My daughter has
connected with a brilliant mind, and a storyteller of supreme excellence.
And maybe she would have come to Tolkien's writings via Lord of the Rings
computer games or by way of the movies, and from there into that connection.

Who can say?

My struggle is, my 15 year old girl's areas of excellence, literature and
history, "look" so much more typically successful. "What do you like to
study, sweety?" Gramma asks. "Oh, I've just finished reading Canterbury
Tales. Isn't that Miller's Tale just a hoot?"

"And how about you, you fine, strapping boy? What do you enjoy?" "Oh,
Gramma! I finally beat my best score in Asteroids." *Gramma's Eyebrows UP* L

peace, Heidi

p.s. >and video games have only been popular for about 20 years.<
more like 27, since Pong came to SLC when I was 15...27 years ago. :D just
thought I'd throw that in...heh.

pps. cool about the Game Cube. Does your mom enjoy it?

ppps. I'm trying to trust that the kids WILL jettison what is detrimental to
them.