RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] What about TV and Computer Games?

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Sat Mar 1 14:02:00 2003

Heidi,

> I guess my problem with TV and other "screen
> activities" is that they are not real life.

and

> And, if he never had computer games or TV in his life, he'd
> act out Tom
> Swift or other books he's read...supplying his imagination
> with things he's
> brought in.

Tom Swift is certainly not real life.

And both activities not being "real life" is, IMO, therapeutic and good.

But don't you see here that you are making a distinction in terms of
value between these two "not real life" activities? As Scott said, the
only fundamental difference here is that TSwift has been around for a
long time, and video games have only been popular for about 20 years.

> if it weren't in the basement, it
> would be on all
> the time, because I'd turn it on and leave it on and sit and
> watch it,
> actually. Maybe that's why I doubt the value of it: because
> it's nothing but
> a detriment in my own life.

Why do you think that children would not arrive at the same conclusion
as you have? Given time, space and freedom, they usually jettison the
things that are a detriment to them.

-joe

p.s. Guess what I bought my mom for her 60th birthday? A GameCube.
Because she has lamented that she doesn't seem to have anything in
common with my son.

My reply to her was that it's because she isn't into the things he's
into, and if she wanted to relate to him more she should take an active
interest in some of the things he does. So she decided she wanted a
GameCube and I got it for her.

I think before adults can make a value judgement on video games, they
have to get in there and try them first.

The latest family activity in the Jackson household: No-holds-barred
games of Mario Party 4 on Jimmy's GameCube.