Re: RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] sudbury/summerhill

From: brian king <kingsarchers_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Feb 27 16:33:01 2003

snip>public school students are
>self-selecting, and Sudbury students are self-selecting. People have a
>choice in where their kids go to school.

Hum,

The students (high school) that I am been getting in most of my classes are those that choose to not perform and choose to be behavior problems. These students are placed in the ag classes with the belief that there is no place to place them. Most are "at risk kids" dad is in jail, mom is on drugs, etc. These kids do not want to be in school or in my agricultural classes. Those kids that I can not turn around pull down the rest of the class. We are told to raise the scores on state tests. This is like playing poker but you can not discard any cards. Public school works great for many kids and others no. Those kids that succeed in public school would most likely succeed in SVS. Some of those that choose not to perform in public school may turnaround in SVS, most would simply choose not to go to school. One of my best students just read what I wrote and added “Most of the kids would choose not to go to school.” She would love to be in a SVS.

Brian