Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] sudbury/summerhill

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Tue Feb 25 06:31:01 2003

All I know about Summerhill is what I have read and I don't know if anything
has changed since Zoe took over.

One difference is that Summerhill has scheduled classes which teachers are
required to hold, but which students are not required to attend.

Another is that Neill took a more therapeutic approach and held counseling
sessions with some students and would intervene as a therapist on occasion.

Also, Neill clearly owned the school. As such, he had the ability to change
the guidelines whenever he wanted. The democratic structure depended on his
goodwill. At a Sudbury model school, there are By-Laws which guarantee the
democratic structure and the school is owned by the corporation (students,
parents, and staff) , not by an individual.

I want to say that I have great admiration for Neill and Summerhill and
believe that the differences, though real, are far less than the
similarities. We all owe Neill a great deal for pioneering for us.

Other differences anyone is aware of?

~Alan Klein