Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Questions about their Future

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Mon Feb 24 18:41:00 2003

And this issue of who gets to have say over a kid's life is the
philosophical nub. As a parent (26, 24, and 16) I often made choices that of
course affected my kids. To the extent that any choice is a gamble, I did,
indeed, gamble with their lives. As I look back, though, these choices
almost always had to do with things that affected others in addition to the
kids, so they were not the kids' choices alone per se.

On the other hand, when it has come to matters that affect them and them
only, it has always been their choice. This included my youngest's decision
to leave the school we thought best for her and to go to public school. It
included her choice to join the Pom Squad at her high school, even though I
see it as the equivalent of the "Jocks' Auxiliary".

As to kids from democratic schools being "behind the curve", we have found
that they are usually ahead of it and, where they are behind, it takes them
a VERY short time to catch up.

~Alan Klein