RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Questions about their Future

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Mon Feb 24 18:30:00 2003

Hey, Liz.

Jeez, I'm so sorry you wasted time actually posting responses to my list
of opinions about what I think is important to learn.

Because, as I tried to state clearly, debating our opinions about what
is important is absolutely, positively *counter* to my point. In fact,
the temptation to discuss my "list" proves my point:

The point is that Michael and I and you and everyone have these groovy
ideas and passions, and I don't want my kids to be forced to learn
algebra and you probably don't want your kids to be forced to learn what
I think is important and Michael probably doesn't want his kids to learn
what you think is important.

Subsequently, I think this is one of the many reasons why it is a good
thing that students in the sudbury school decide what is best for them
to learn.

> I'm trying to wrap my brain around
> where a philosophy of non-coercion (good for the spirit) can meet a
> philosophy of making sure the child has learned how to function as a
social
> creature

I think maybe a good place to start (if you are really curious about the
Sudbury Model) is to maybe read some of the books which outline case
after case after case of children not only learning to function as
social creatures, but how the Sudbury school is the ultimate place for
people to learn to thrive as social creatures.

Without some sense of the culture at Sudbury, it is almost impossible to
imagine, simply because the culture essentially exists nowhere else.

You can find the books on the Sudbury website:

http://www.sudval.org/books.html

Good luck,

Joe Jackson