Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Several Questions Regarding Sudbury Model Schools

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri Feb 14 09:24:01 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:44:52 +0000 (GMT), Conarch_at_surfbest.net wrote:

>Sorry about the double post.
>

> I am currently enrolled in a school similar in function and operation to Sudbury Valley, and I am wondering if some of you could answer a couple of questions I put together to help me understand the differences between the school I am attending now and ones like it. Thanks in advance.
>

> 1.) How does the staff view themselves in relation to the school they are employed by?
>
> 2.) What are they expected to do?
>
> 3.) What more is expected of them then their fellow students?
>
> 4.) How much of a role are they willing to take in the operation of the school (a.k.a. Do they run for elected positions?)?
>
> 5.) How much of an influence are parents in the running of the school?
>
> 6.) What role does the School Assembly play in the functioning of the school?
>
> 7.) What are the school’s policies in regards to drugs and other illegal substances?
>
> 8.) If convicted of a charge relating to those above, what action, if any, does the S.M. take?
>
> 9.) What does it take for a student to be expelled?
>
> 10.) What is the general purpose of the school?

My initial reaction is to ask whether this can be anything other than
a >>troll<< message, one designed to create controversial response.

But if you are serious, I suggest you surf to the Sudbury Valley
School web site, www.sudval.org and read from the available "Free
Texts" You can also use the "Search" feature which will look into
the archives of this mailing list. I think you'll find that many of
your questions have been addressed in the available material.
Then if you have questions, you might just tell us in what ways your
current school is "similar in function and operation to Sudbury
Valley" and in what ways it is different.

Good luck.

Mike