Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] @Booroobin Sudbury School and others!

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu Feb 13 19:32:01 2003

Hi Regina,

Coming from Munchen, I expect you will find Booroobin in the Blackall
range as rather rural. This beautiful region is referred to as the
Hinterland, and situated just on the west side of the ridge, is almost
Aussie rain forest. It is remote from any city (about an hour plus
from Brisbane, but closer to the smaller cities of the Sunshine
Coast.)

The Booroobin web site has a link to the local community
http://www.maleny.net.au/sunweb/index.html
The map there is quite informative, as well as the local scenes and
other information. I suggest you explore via the web.

Maleny is the local town with a population around 7,000.
Booroobin is southwest of Maleny, about halfway to the road to
Toowoomba.

I don't have exact enrollment information, but I believe Fairhaven is
approaching 50 students and Booroobin has passed the 20 count.
Not only is Booroobin rural, but it also embraces nature. There are
cultivated animals on campus along with some left over agriculture
that they are working to rejuvenate. You may have noticed that their
web site invites WWOOFers. Native wildlife also appears from time to
time.

You ask whether these schools are "like family" or "normal" schools.
because both communities are rather small, I suspect it would be easy
to develop a "family" like arrangement. On the other hand, since I
know many of the people at both schools, I would also expect that your
privacy would be respected. Perhaps I am saying that much of this
would depend on you.

I haven't visited Fairhaven, so I'll limit my comments to contrast the
locations. Fairhaven, in Maryland, is close enough to Washington DC
for students to commute. While I believe Fairhaven also has
significant acreage, the region is not as rugged and rural as that of
Booroobin.

I know that Booroobin has plans to accommodate foreign students; I
don't know what provisions may exist at Fairhaven for someone in your
circumstances, but I am certain you are in contact with both schools
and have or will soon have that information.

I hope you find this useful. If you have other questions, don't
hesitate to write.

Mike