Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] What is your doubt?

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu Feb 13 17:54:01 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:41:54 EST, Michellh21_at_aol.com wrote:

>i'm an international student from Hong Kong. My horrible school experience
>has scared me not to have kids. I don't want my kids to study in a sick
>education system. In my country, people still cannot trust a democratic
>school. But I feel much much better when i see Sudbury schools work in other
>countries.
>I decide to pick Sudbury Schools as my research topic as I'm really
>fasinated. I want to do a survey on what people doubt about Sudbury schools.
>Why it seems so hard to become the majority?
>What do people worry about the school principles such as, self-government, no
>compulsory curriculum, mixed age group?
>I'll be appreciate if you let me know your opinion. Thanks a lot.
>
>Huang

An interesting question, and one I wish I had a good answer to. I
think both Carol and Marilu have answers that make sense in many
instances. Change does take time and many people will NEVER consider
any alternative to what they personally experienced. In fact, even
with all the discussion about problems with the government school
systems, I believe most people never consider the issue. And many of
those who might consider it don't feel that they are in a position to
influence change or to even consider an alternative for their
children.

Belief that children need to be lead to learn and provided with a
structured curriculum remains widespread.

You write that you are an international student from Hong Kong. Where
are you studying? Is your research being done at University? Where?
In what Department?

I would be interested in reading your research results.

Mike