[Discuss-sudbury-model] @Booroobin Sudbury School and others!

From: Regina Leeb <RichLeeb_at_web.de>
Date: Thu Feb 13 11:52:00 2003

Hi everyone!

My name is Regina and I am from Germany (Munich). At the moment, I am attending my local grammar school and hoping to do my A-levels in about two months. After being officially out of school at the 27th of June, I am still "only" 19 years of age which enables me to visit a Sudbury School as a student for another year. As I seem somehow connected to Australia, I would love to enrol at the Booroobin Sudbury School in Queensland, but have also asked the Fairhaven Sudbury School for information.

Today, a friend of mine, who has heard about Sudbury education over me (I wrote a 48 pages essay about it for my English course), told me about her idea to send her son (Oscar, 13 years of age) also to a Sudbury school (preferably to the same school I am going to enroll in) as he is also in trouble with his momentary education. He doesn't have too many problems with the grades, but is obviously unhappy with the schooling situation he's in. He's also a native English speaker, as his mom comes from England.

So now to my question, which I hope is not going to be misunderstood (especially by the two schools I named): It would not have been such important for me, but now, as second person (Oscar) is involved, I would like to know more about the "atmosphere" at those two schools. I am sure there are differences between the different Sudbury Schools, although they are based onto the same priniciple. Does anyone know how many students they have got, and which age groups dominate? Can anyone who has visited the schools tell me more, e.g. what the campus looks like, which facilities you can find there and so on.
Especially I am interested if it is like "a whole family", where everyone knows everyone else, or just more like a normal school, where not everyone is deeply involved in the other people's activities.

Of course I could have asked the concerned schools themselves (which I also did in some way), but I am interested to hear many people's opinions on this topic. So can anyone help me and describe how big and if there are differences between the schools? (How many are there - about 30?)

I hope I did explain what I want to know properly and not in a confusing or way that was unintentional unkind! Sorry for the mistakes, my English isn't that perfect as well.

Thanks very much to everyone answering!

Kind regards,

Regina

Die vCard - Ihr neues Kennzeichen - bei WEB.DE FreeMail!
http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021156