Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Reading?

From: Carol Hughes <carolhughes1_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Feb 10 08:31:00 2003

Hi Michael,
One of my favorite all-time books on how we learn is "Education and Ecstasy"
by George Leonard. It's out of print, but you can get it from a library I'm
sure. He supports very well the idea that we only truly learn those things
we learn "in ecstasy". Looking back through my own education when I read
this book I think he's right. So your words "disliking intensely" jump out
at me. Also, I would welcome any questions you may have about SVS. My
children have been going there for 15 years. Your question on this site
indicates that you are taking charge of your circumstances and finding out
what is out there. You have, then begun your own foray into education from
the inside out. Another book I just remember I like is "Teaching as a
Subversive Activity" I think it's by Jonathan Kozol. Keep experimenting.
Carol Hughes