Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] For India?

From: <JerryAERO_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Dec 12 18:49:00 2002

Dear Ranajit:
From my experience in India I completely agree with you. I was once asked to
go to help a native American tribe in Northern Ontario. Their had moved back
to their ancestral land, but this was not recognized by the government, so
there was no help with education, they had no school, and the kids were
illiterate. In two weeks I helped them realize that they had the resources
within their tribe to start their own school. All they needed was some
empowerment. Once their school was started, the government was obliged by
treaty to support it, and they have been thriving for ten years now.

There are many villages in India where there are no schools at all. I think
it would be possible for teams to go from village to village, empowering
parents and other interested people to use their own resources to create an
environment which would support learning for their children. In fact, I
presented this idea when I spoke at the conference in Pune and the idea was
well received.

Jerry

In a message dated 12/11/02 8:28:39 PM, ranajit_chatterjee_at_yahoo.com writes:

<< Well in a country of over a billion the possibility
  to find parents of many different categories are
  quite high.

> I have heard that that changes have
> taken place and that children of today have more
> freedom than ever before. If this is true, then a
> few schools in the large cities or residential
> schools for the super rich kids could be possible.

  In fact my optimism about the possibilities in
India comes from quite opposite end of the spectrum.
In communities where there is a long tradition of
following convention and receiving the 'fruits' of
conventional education policies - it is expected to
be more difficult to convince many of the parents
to choose some un-trodden path for their kids.
  But unlike the situation in many other countries
the 'center of gravity' of access to education in
India is quite shifted towards the 'have-nots'.
And if some feasible option can be made available to
the parents who cant even think of having even a
preliminary education for their children -
philosophical resistance might be the last thing one
need to worry about. Which makes a vast open ground
available to experiment with out-of-the-way systems
to prove the benefits. And as more precedence will be
available within the familiar socio-economic setting
- the part of 'convincing parents' may become less
complex.

  But the issue remains a daunting task more from the
point of economic feasibility and finding people - who

inspite of being brought up in conventional systems -
could managed to unlearn the imposed thought and value

structure for better.

  Looking forward to keep hearing from you.

  Best,

  Ranajit >>