Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] For India?

From: Ranajit Chatterjee <ranajit_chatterjee_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Dec 11 20:28:01 2002

Dear Sree,

  Its good to hear from you.

--- srimad_at_juno.com wrote:
> Dear Ranajit: I am also from India and I
> was also facinated by the SVS model. I had visited
> the Summerhill school in England and a SVS school in
> Connecticut, USA. I think they are great.

> I justdon't see many Indian parents opting for such
> school as the people in India seem to want to have
> absolute control over their children's bodies, minds
> and feelings!

  Well in a country of over a billion the possibility
  to find parents of many different categories are
  quite high.

> I have heard that that changes have
> taken place and that children of today have more
> freedom than ever before. If this is true, then a
> few schools in the large cities or residential
> schools for the super rich kids could be possible.

  In fact my optimism about the possibilities in
India comes from quite opposite end of the spectrum.
In communities where there is a long tradition of
following convention and receiving the 'fruits' of
conventional education policies - it is expected to
be more difficult to convince many of the parents
to choose some un-trodden path for their kids.
  But unlike the situation in many other countries
the 'center of gravity' of access to education in
India is quite shifted towards the 'have-nots'.
And if some feasible option can be made available to
the parents who cant even think of having even a
preliminary education for their children -
philosophical resistance might be the last thing one
need to worry about. Which makes a vast open ground
available to experiment with out-of-the-way systems
to prove the benefits. And as more precedence will be
available within the familiar socio-economic setting
- the part of 'convincing parents' may become less
complex.

  But the issue remains a daunting task more from the
point of economic feasibility and finding people - who

inspite of being brought up in conventional systems -
could managed to unlearn the imposed thought and value

structure for better.

  Looking forward to keep hearing from you.

  Best,

  Ranajit