Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] For India?

From: <JerryAERO_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Dec 10 23:37:00 2002

In a message dated 12/6/02 11:01:03 AM, ranajit_chatterjee_at_yahoo.com writes:

<< Hello,
  I was lurking in this list for quite some time and
enriching my knowledge about this humanitarian and
natural education philosophy. I am from India but
currently located in Japan. I met Daniel and Hanna
Greenberg here in Tokyo a few years back during a
lecture about SVS. And I realized that my long search
and reflection about possibilities of a natural and
respectful environment for growth of human qualities
and potentials, finally found a philosophy to nearest
to my heart.
  I obtained a list of books from SVS and eventually
joined this list to deepen my understanding about the
model and its realization issues. I would like to
express my regards for your dedication for the cause
and thanks to all of you for letting me share your
knowledge, experiences and arguments.
 Though my experience and knowledge about conventional

schooling system is apparently from a different social

and cultural setting than that of States – it seems
the prevailing ‘official education philosophies' are
mostly common irrespective of political boundaries.
Though in very old Indian traditions the learning
environments were apparently more ‘learning
oriented’ rather than ‘teaching oriented’ the
structured schooling system in recent centuries
embraced the state-of-the-art quite ‘effectively’
along with its associate humanitarian and social
evils.
  To my knowledge there are some efforts
of 'alternative schooling’ experiments in India
but I am not aware of any initiative in the line
of SVS philosophy. India being a country with a
large population without literacy and below
a ‘optimistically’ defined poverty line – the
implementation details may need adaptation in view
of the target economic and cultural settings. But
the essential philosophy of building a learning
environment on the foundation of respect is an
universal necessity.
  In this context I will be happy to find in this
list some people from India or anyone who are
planning or have initiated any SVS model school in
Indian context.

  With thanks
    and with all my best wishes for the SVS movement,

  - Ranajit Chatterjee >>

Dear Ranajit:
I just came back from the Alternative Education Conference in Pune, India. It
was a very powerful experience. It was sponsored by the DAV group of 700
private schools. After my keynote, 14 schools have expressed interest in
knowing more about democratic education. The process will be ongoing.

Also important to me was my visit to street children and families living at
the railway station.

Will you be going back to India? Do you know of Butterflies, a democratic
program for street and working children in Delhi? A similar organization will
be hosting the International Democratic Education conference in India in
January 2004. They will be participating in the IDEC 2003 which we will be
hosting here in New York in July. For more info on that go to
www.IDEC2003.com.

Jerry Mintz
AERO
www.educationrevolution.org