Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Thu Dec 5 09:56:01 2002

Mike,

Individual anecdotes such as the one you share here are wonderful, glorious
tributes to the importance of the work our schools do and of the sacrifices
we all have made to create and sustain them. They are what I and, I suspect,
others, live for and from which we gain much sustenance of the spirit. They
are incredible measures that, at the individual level, we are working as
hard as we can to make our schools accessible to as wide a variety of people
as possible.

They do not, however, change the fact that, at the group level, we are part
of an "elite", which can afford to worry about such things as choosing the
type of schooling we want, rather than having to choose between feeding our
kids or providing medicine for them.

"Elite", as I have read it in this discussion, was originally introduced at
the group level. It has been fascinating that the responses to it have all
been from the individual level and, therefore, have been quite rightly
outraged and defensive. At the individual level, you, Joe, me, and all of us
who have been working and sweating to make democratic schooling a reality,
are anything but elite. It is a fact, however, that, at the group level,
those 25 years in which SVS's "survival depended on a substantial financial
sacrifice by the staff" were made possible because the group of folks who
started the school had the financial means to make that sacrifice (i.e.,
were part of an "elite" in terms of global economics). This is not "a
pejorative". It is simply a reflection of a larger reality in which our
schools are embedded.

~Alan Klein