RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Wed Dec 4 16:58:00 2002

> I am poor. And this is not a
> *temporary* state.

Aw, come on Elizabeth - cheer up!! Everything on this planet is a
temporary state!

I was broke when I got out of school (I went to a Texas state school so
fortunately it didn't cost much = no student loans). I worked nights at
the UPS Dallas Presort while at school and then went on the road with a
band for a couple of years. After that I did dock work and then I
joined the military and got married. We had kids, I stayed in the
military and have started a couple of businesses. Then we helped start
the school. In other words it took Linda and I a while to be
established enough to be able to do the school thing.

The point is, finishing school is not a destination, it's a starting
point. You get out and you're still on the ground floor. I guess
you've figured that out! :)

Don't get so caught up in the seeming permanence of it, Elizabeth -
you'll be OK! But you do have to do something to get out of it - don't
let the hopelessness paralyze you!

> typically what happens is
> that you fill out a form and visit. Then you volunteer for a
> day a week, for a year. Then, when the year is up, you might
> have an opportunity to be voted in as a staff. But that
> would still not be full time work.

Yes, that's the intern route. It's a good way for the school to see if
someone will be a good long-term prospect while giving the intern some
really valuable experience.

That's a common route to get a job in many places today - at least in my
primary professional sphere (entertainment business). There's also
their training program.

> Perhaps Framingham SVS has too many applicants. Perhaps no
> openings. I'd grant them that. But I was told that this is
> standard procedure for anyone trying to become staff. ANYONE?
> No. Not anyone.
>
> It is my stance and assertion that only people of privilege
> are able to be staff.

What do you mean when you say "people of privilege"? Is someone whose
husband works for the government a person of privilege? Is someone who
helps found Fairhaven for free whose spouse cuts trees for a living a
person of privilege? Is a guy who is a career enlisted Air Force who
does volunteer web mastering and corporate treasurership for a school a
person of privilege? Is a bunch of people who build a school out of
windows, doors and lumber torn out of condemned buildings and call it
Fairhaven School people of privilege? Was I a person of privilege in
the summer of '98 when I cashed in all the leave I earned for eight
years in the Air Force and stood in a giant muddy hole straightening
rusty nails with a hammer and a set of pliers so we could build forms
for the foundation of the school's building? Can I please shut up with
my strident little indignant speech now?

When you say "people of privilege" I think of, ummmm (forgive me
Elizabeth - you know it's just too easy and I just can't resist)
HARVARD!!

> Someone like me can't work there.

Yes; I agree. People that insist on being hired without giving the
community the chance to even see whether they'd be any good at staffing
probably can't work there. People that aren't willing to get temp work
or crappy part-time or night jobs like many of us have.

Or get a job in the public schools. I know that in a way you are
dancing with the devil, but if it gets you on your feet and puts you in
a position to go lean a couple of years to "do something", so be it. Or
maybe you really don't want to work in a Sudbury School. It doesn't
matter.

Just be patient. My gut says you've got a lot to offer but you've just
got to get out of this self-defeating mindset.

-joe