[Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students]

From: Victoria Serda <vserda_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed Dec 4 16:56:00 2002

attached mail follows:

Hi again. Thanks for your other response.
I am in the Independent Studies Program (undergraduate degree) at the
University of Waterloo in Ontario,
http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/interdis/independent/index.html, where all of
my courses are done independently under the facilitation of a professor(s).
There are no grades, courses are given a "May Proceed" (credit) when a
person has completed the approximation of 100 hours of work. How to do so
is between you and your professor. I write reports, explain what I am doing
for each course that I have designed, and they give me feedback on my work
and help to find people with expertise to help me. For example, I have
received credits for growing an organic garden as an experiment, starting
an SVS-type school, and researching and presenting a speech to my town
council on pesticide use. I am now in the thesis phase, where I am writing
a 50-75 page essay on self-directed, democratic schools; why they are best
for learning, and how they uphold children's rights. My brother is has
written a movie script for his degree, other topics have been living on
Mars, the reunification of Korea, etc. Soon I will have a Bachelor of
Independent Study. (a recognized degree, equivalent to any other Bachelor)
It sounds like it has the same philosophy as SVS, non?
I have applied to go to the Ontario Institute of Studies in Education in
Toronto, where I hope to get a Master's and PhD Degree in Human Rights,
Democracy and Education.
Victoria