RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Wed Dec 4 14:17:01 2002

Hey Victoria.

The origins of this bias is a result of common experiences: it is a
commonly heard and understood theme among Sudbury Model staff that those
with formal education (I think many SudStaff have education degrees) end
up having to "unlearn" most of what they learn in school. Many end up
regretting the time the spent in college.

It's not a "prejudice"; it's more of a "postjudice". Nobody is telling
you what's right for you; just what we have learned about ourselves.
You can take it or leave it; you have to figure out what the right thing
is for you. But I hardly think that people on a list serve relating
their experiences and opinions to the group amounts to "prejudicing"
you, as if someone is actively trying to brainwash you or something.
You're the one who is seeking the opinions of others here, right?

-joe