Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Victoria Serda <vserda_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed Dec 4 14:01:01 2002

Hello there everyone,
I would like to mention that I notice a prejudice against formal education in
this letter and in many assumptions that I have seen in this discussion group.
Although you will assume that I have a bias because I am a university student, I
understand both sides of the fence for I did not originally pursue a
post-secondary education because of my disbelief in the authoritarian structure
of the university and the elite status of degrees. However, just as some of the
founders of SVS having post-graduate degrees helped their credibility, so a
degree may help someone else to help children in the way they wish.
I don't know how anyone can judge what should be of value to someone else. Each
person finds a concept like these self-directed schools at different times in
their lifespan, and prejudicing yourself against someone who made a different
life choice is hardly worthwhile. Everyone has a different level of tolerance in
how much they can do without financial compensation, and after years of being in
debt and scrounging for money to pursue humanitarian goals, either as a teacher
at an SVS school or a university student, everyone can only make a decision about
their own self. If it is not practically possible to pay someone for their
labour sometimes, then as long as there is a goal to do so, let the people make
the choices they wish. I hope the idea mentionned in one email is true, that
there may be a teacher training program that pays. However, as this certainly is
not true at all SVS school, some people may not be able to make the financial
sacrifice because of restraints, and this situation may prejudice their being
able to participate at the level they would choose. Imagine three examples: a
graduate, finally looking forward to some compensation for many years of hard
work; a teacher at an SVS school, looking forward to the compensation for many
years of trying to start a school; a person interested in teaching at an SVS
school who does not have the financial ability to volunteer.
All are admirable. All should ideally be compensated for their work.
Victoria