RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Elizabeth Marrin <e_marrin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Dec 4 10:25:01 2002

Hi Joe,

Thanks for giving your feedback.

However, unless you know both Jamie or myself, I am convinced
that you are not a good source to measure our priorities or
convictions. I suppose, then, you need more information about
me to see how I measure against Jamie? And then go talk to
Jamie. In any case, Jamie should still be paid for her fine
work.

As for me, I have taken a huge personal risk and am in great
financial debt in order to have received an excellent education.
 That itself is a great measure of my conviction. Who am I in
debt for anyway? It is all for the next generation of kids.

I already *did* the "I'll get myself into debt for this cause."

Without being in the upper class, I did what I could to get
myself ahead in the world. I worked through college, gaining
much life experience along the way. I have overcome immense
obstacles to achieve my undergraduate degree by the age of 27.
Then, I expected to get into debt with my graduate school
education. But I didn't expect to not get paid as soon as I was
ready to start working. So, is SVS really interested in
"hiring" me?

My graduate degree is in risk and prevention - studying what
environments bring about resilience, and preventing problems for
kids before life becomes overwhelming. Based on my life
experiences as well as my studies, I have come to the conscious
passionate belief that something along the lines that of what
SVS does is a good thing. I believe it that can benefit society
greatly. I am willing (see "conviction" and "priorities") to do
the work that needs to be done - public education is atrocious
right now. I believe I am the next generation of radical
reformers. Maybe you're egging me on to create a better SVS...
one that doesn't ask employees to work for free.

The next generation of high energy, high risk-taking reformers
are young. We have college and graduate school debt - we are
not capable of working for free. Unless.... SVS is satisfied
that tacit messages are passing from the elite staff to the
students.

I dunno... how would you explain my generation's predicament?
The Bush camp has so much power to persuade now with standards
and testing... And anyone interested in radical education reform
AND who has financial debt isn't going to head towards working
for free, even if the cause is extremely important and worth
fighting for. I believe, as most Americans do, that payment for
services rendered (even if services rendered are of a radical
nature and occur in startup mode) is a healthy and humane system
we have. We are in the age of the 'cause for living wages.'

In my experience, after receiving so many education loans, I
cannot see myself recieving another loan until I have a paying
job.

It is a pity, Joe, that you think it reflects my "conviction"
and "priorities" when, in actuality, it reflects SVS's.

Elizabeth