Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue Dec 3 11:55:01 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:55:41 -0800 (PST), Elizabeth Marrin
<e_marrin_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here's my
>situation: I live in the Boston area and have made multiple
>inquiries to work at the original Framingham SVS, only to be
>told that I'd have to work without pay a few days a week. I
>don't have the *luxury* to work for free. And so all this makes
>me wonder: who does?!??!

Elizabeth,

I have no idea what you may have to "offer" SVS or whether there is
any perceived need for it. or whether what you may have to offer is
better for SVS than what some existing staff member apparently has to
offer. After all, if you were to be hired, some existing staff member
would not be.

But, no one at SVS works "for free."

Is it possible that you are misinterpreting what you were told about
the need to make yourself known to those who do engage staff? This
obviously requires some time and effort by the candidate.

There was a time when staff did work without "real" financial
compensation and subsequently for only nominal financial compensation.
That was part of establishing a financially viable institution in our
free market economy. I remember this period of time and my personal
role in "pushing" the school to reach for "viability."

This is what many people go through when they say, "I have an idea for
a venture." They start it, hoping they are correct and that people
will pay for their service or product. SVS was not different.

It is my hope that the smaller schools operating on the sudbury model
will gain this same level of success. Some haven't and have gone by
the way. Others continue to struggle. Reaching financially viable
numbers is a complex and difficult process. And when what you are
offering is an alternative to that embraced by cultural standards, the
problem is compounded.

Perhaps there is an alternative approach wherein funds for the school
are provided by others. AT SVS, we've not pursued this avenue.

Mike Sadofsky