RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Elizabeth Marrin <e_marrin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 3 10:56:01 2002

Jamie,

I graduated from harvard grad school of education with lots of
debt now to repay. Unlike you, I don't have a husband to
support me. (I am really sorry to hear that your situation is
worsening... Keep hope alive...)

So I can't just work for free.

What I can offer Sudbury is 100% of my life energy, my
over-educated mind, and my tremendous life experience - and as
most in our society believe - I should be compensated with a
decent living wage. I refuse to die for this cause if I don't
have to. Why should I be forced to make extreme sacrifices for
it? I have already sacrificed a tremendous amount to be in this
moment right now.

Just getting to the point of realizing that SVS is a great
concept means that you have made sacrifices in your own life.
Why, if SVS didn't exist, we all would have made it up ourselves
anyway.

Then, to offer my life energy to become a staff --- that is a
gift, a tremendous opportunity for everyone... to give what I
have. To support. To care. To guide. To witness curious
learning. To see genuine struggle for personal development.
This entire experience is magical and spiritual and it is a
great life's work to be devoted to the next generation. To make
up for what I hadn't received in the public system. To make
sure that their development is better than mine.... This is very
good work, indeed.

But nothing should be *too* important to work as if you had no
job at all. Get yourself paid, girl. As the last poster (Mike
Sadofsky) said, SVS has no provisions for this. You don't need
to march your family into economic ruin.

"There is NOT any requirement that staff work without
compensation or with little pay until they become part of the
scenery. In fact, there is no provision for such voluntary
"staff" presence at SVS." -Mike Sadofsky

I disagree with you when you say that "all of the unpaid staff
at Sudbury schools are from those that have just opened." It
isn't that unpaid staff are at those schools that have just
opened; I think it is probably that unpaid staff cannot stay on
the job because they aren't being paid - they just don't remain
part of the system - who can under those circumstances? At some
point in the near future, you might have to give up your job for
the sake of your family. Who but the elite can survive
circumstances like these?

Besides, the only ones that really remain at startups are there
for entirely different reasons: seeing a startup school into
completion. That is not really what SVS is about, is it? SVS
is about democratic experiences, and the kids' learning
environments --- SVS is not about startups even though in order
for the concept to spread, startups have to exist. Here's my
situation: I live in the Boston area and have made multiple
inquiries to work at the original Framingham SVS, only to be
told that I'd have to work without pay a few days a week. I
don't have the *luxury* to work for free. And so all this makes
me wonder: who does?!??!

Perhaps Mike Sadofsky can help explain why you need to work for
free, because I don't think you do, Jamie. You are obviously
passionate about your work and should deserve an honest
compensation for it.

Elizabeth