Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SVS=Elite? AND Urban Students

From: Elizabeth Marrin <e_marrin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 3 08:37:00 2002

Joe,

But SVS will still remain the ultimate elite school when *staff*
are of a certain type of class that can work without pay or with
little pay. Sudbury requires that new staff work without pay or
with little pay for an unspecified amount of time until they
become part of the scenery. It is simply impossible to just
start working for Sudbury if you get out of college and want to
work there, or if you've learned much on the road of life (and
need a job to live).

Until Sudbury has a proven mechanism to change this really bad
rule, the students will be raised in an elite system where tacit
messages/guidance come from the elite staff.

It will stop being elite when it becomes a "public" democratic
system in every which way, even for the staff.

Elizabeth