[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol 1 #31 - 3 msgs

From: <soniar_at_dolphin.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon Dec 2 02:02:00 2002

david, you need to do some reading up on anarchy before you bash it so
strongly. anarchy is not about a lack of organization, it is, at its core,
about organizing communities around communal and individual needs without a
separate, authoritarian government. it represents the belief that people can
work together to make communities function well. this does not mean living
without rules, it means that people actually take part in creating, enforcing,
and always reassessing the need for the rules under which they live. it is
also a much more effective way to avoid being "at the mercy of the first
criminal who came along" than the privatized society you idealize, as is
evidenced by the current american government (george bush and his gang freely
wage war against americans and foreigners alike).

and thank you, candace, for chiming in about the need for public education. i
would hope that anyone who believes in the sudbury model for schooling would
also recognize the importance of communities taking care of *all* their
members, not just those who have already been privileged as part of the elite
class in a global hegemony. of course, this does not currently happen with
our public education system, but many of us public school teachers are working
toward it. i do not mean that everyone should receive the *same* education,
but every individual should receive an education appropriate to her/his
needs. if this does not happen, we will continue to feed poor children to the
prison system and send them off to wars halfway around the world, and we will
continue to produce an uneducated populace that lacks the critical thinking
skills needed to resist the conservative corporate domination of our lives.
public education *can* serve to frame our response to globalization,
especially as it affects us in the first world, but it has to be tranformative
public education, and the sudbury model would not be a bad start as far as
approaches to public schooling go. i think urban public schools need a little
more structure than sudbury offers, but if they were driven by the principles
on which sudbury schools operate, we would be in a lot better shape.

for anyone interested in reading some good arguments against the privatization
of public education, here's a good book:
Educating the "Right" Way by Michael Apple

-sonia