Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Complexity Interpretation...

From: Candace <cr_at_groesbeck.net>
Date: Mon Dec 2 01:14:00 2002

  David Said:

  No, Victoria, I don't have any suggestion about how to operate a school that would have at least nominal acceptance in society without government approval -- but I do have a much better solution: end government involvement in education -- Separate School & State. Please see: http://www.sepschool.org/ and http://www.sepschool.org/cgi/RegDisp.cgi/global (Israel).

  David

      I do not prefer government run schools. My two children are home educated within a child directed atmosphere. They have never gone to public school (and sadly, I am unaware of any Sudberry schools in Utah). However, I consider public education an indispensable institution. As a member of my local home education e-mail group stated succinctly, "I do not "resent" paying taxes for those using the public schools. I consider them a necessary safety net like police or fire protection, and just like police and firemen I pray that I will never have to resort to them"

      Before the government guaranteed an education to each and every individual in America, many children among the poorest segments of society were forced into early labor. The possibility for a recurrence of this is enhanced when low-income working parents cannot afford education, or adequate care, for their children while they are away at work. Also, the elimination of school breakfast and lunch programs would be disastrous to these families. Their children would become an un-affordable obligation and would probably be forced to contribute to the family monetarily, at an earlier age.

      While the government would likely delay, or altogether eliminate this effect greatly by allowing subsidies, or vouchers, for qualifying families, eventually these could be downsized, or phased out, just as welfare has been downsized. At worst, I fear we could regress to a feudal-like society with little chance of upward mobility for the children of poorer families, by means of a guaranteed education. At best, the lowest income Americans would still receive an inferior education just as do now.

      I am very intrigued by the ideas of recent discussions to make public schools closer to the Sudberry model. I would love to see this happen.

      I'm sure you have many valid arguments around these concerns, and I would very much be interested in your further viewpoint.