[Discuss-sudbury-model] Schools in Canada

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Sun Dec 1 14:32:01 2002

Kristina,

Here are two operating Sudbury Schools in Canada:

The Fairfield School
65 Highland Avenue
Wolfville, Nova Scotia B4P 1Z5
CANADA
PH 902/542-0548
e-mail: <mailto:info_at_fairfieldschool.org> info_at_fairfieldschool.org
WWW : <http://www.fairfieldschool.org> http://www.fairfieldschool.org

Indigo Sudbury Campus
11342-127 Street
Edmonton, Alberta, T5M 0T8
CANADA
e-mail: <mailto:iscinfo_at_telus.net> iscinfo_at_telus.net
WWW: <http://www.indigosudburycampus.com>
http://www.indigosudburycampus.com

And here are two schools in the starup phase:

The Beach School
25 Selwood Ave.
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Phone: (416) 693-3014
Email: <mailto:beachsvs_at_rogers.com> beachsvs_at_rogers.com
Web: <http://www.thebeachschool.org> www.thebeachschool.org

Grey-Bruce Independent School
c/o Victoria Serda
P.O. Box 1724
Southampton, Ontario
Canada N0H 2L0
Phone: (519) 797-2450
Email: <mailto:vserda_at_sympatico.ca> vserda_at_sympatico.ca

And then here are a couple of schools that, while they do not call
themselves Sudbury Schools, seem to have few differences with a Sudbury
Model school:

Banyan Tree UnSchool
130 Centre Street
London, Ontario
Canada N6J 1T5
Phone: (519) 433-3756
Fax: (519) 434-7930
Email: <mailto:info_at_learnfree.ca> info_at_learnfree.ca
Web: <http://learnfree.ca/> learnfree.ca

Windsor House School
440 Hendry Avenue
North Vancouver, B.C.
Canada V7L 4C5
Phone: (604) 903-3366
Fax: (604) 903-3367
Email: <mailto:hhughes_at_telus.net> hhughes_at_telus.net
Web: <http://whs.at.org/> whs.at.org

Counting all of these,

Canada = 1 Sudbury school for every 516,666 people

Using the same criteria for schools in the U.S.:

U.S. = 1 Sudbury school for every 8,928,571 people

Regarding controls on public schools in Canada, pretty much the same
situation in the US. But take the queen's coin and play the queen's
tune, no? Which is why we are private...

Nice hearing from you - joe