Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Complexity Interpretation...

From: Victoria Serda <vserda_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri Nov 29 13:29:00 2002

Dear Darren,
I am just finishing up my thesis on something similar--how schools like
SVS are optimal for learning and producing the kind of citizens that
society needs. I also have experience starting an SVS-type school.
I think in this area, as in life, it is important to balance extremes.
It is not possible right now to have fully non-authoritarian structures,
because society is authoritarian. Therefore, the goal should be to
minimize coercion and maximize freedom. In order for a school to exist
without being closed down by the government, it has to follow the rules.

The end result of granting children a much healthier option must be
balanced with the detriments to working in the current system.
Victoria Serda