[Discuss-sudbury-model] Complexity Interpretation...

From: Darren Stanley <rds1_at_ualberta.ca>
Date: Fri Nov 29 12:48:00 2002

Hello All!

I am presently going through the numerous stories and articles that I have on SVS - shaped mostly through the writings found in the SVS books that are available to anyojne through the SVS website.

As part of my PhD dissertation (in Education), I am attempting to show/illuminate how "schools" might be healthier in how they function, following the actions of SVS (as an example of what might be possible).

SVS strikes me as akin to a deeply living, biological entity. Framed in this way, and using what researchers and scholars from a diversity of fields have had to say about complex systems, I wonder what might *in principle* be present to help make SVS *work*. It seems to me that there is plenty of diversity present; interactions across many time/space scales (e.g., no restrictions on age/subject/interest level). The types and strengths of interactions may bring forth a variety of different/novel emergent events...and so on...

In my work in the non-profit health sector (another cap I wear), I have an implicit understanding of what a "healthy" organization might be like. From what I have read and know about SVS and other related matters, SVS is IMHO the epitomy of a healthy educational setting - speaking rather broadly.

Here are some questions I've been pondering...any thoughts out there?!?

The school seems to have this sort of "self-organizing" feature to it: no authoritarian leaders (leadership is shared/distributed?); no external constraints? but can there be NO external constraints? There are, of course, state regulations, but how or do these regulations play out? Or might it be better said that the school is "influenced" by state regulations? Is influence the same as coercion?

Sorry for all the questions...I do have more tho', but I will stop there!

On another note...I don't know if Daniel Greenberg is on this list, but I've recently read your/his essay on human interest. What a remarkable piece. Not only did it help to illuminate a completely new view of this phenomenon for me, I have also shared it with my work colleague who has in turn shared it with a number of other "dissatisfied suburban housewives" (her words, not mine). In every instance, everyone of these people "get it" and see how traditioanl schooling works so hard to ignore and work with the "interests" of others. thanks!

Darren

Darren Stanley
University of Alberta, Canada
Plexus Institute, Allentown, NJ