RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Introduction, Technology at Sudbury

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Mon Nov 25 21:28:00 2002

> This may sound very abstract, but as shared virtual
> environments and chat spaces become more heavily used and
> populated (along with email and personal web pages), more and
> more situations will arise where kids in a school end up
> "speaking for" their school simply because they are using the
> school's Internet connection. When that happens, a strict
> reliance on a doctrine of individual responsibility might
> break down a bit. I'm not saying that students shouldn't be
> treated as adults, but it should be acknowledged that they
> are part of a community of adults that might be affected by
> the individual's actions. This goes beyond black and white
> rules (e.g., no lying about your age) to a more nebulous
> conception of what it means to represent your community on
> the net. I'm just trying to understand how that sense of
> what is "acceptable behavior on the net" gets negotiated in
> the schools.
>
> Does this make sense?

I'm trying to understand. How does using the school's portal to the
Internet create more of an impression that the school meeting member is
representing the school any more than using a portal anywhere else? And
how does the fact that a student or staff as a member of the school
represent the school on the Internet any more than they do in the
physical world?

It is pretty much an accepted part of life in our school that there is a
personal responsibility on the part of every member of school meeting
that they represent the school in their dealings with the world at large
and that their actions can be injurious to the school. What I am trying
to understand is whether you feel that there is a difference in the
degree to which they represent the school in the physical world and in
written correspondence, like web-based email and chatrooms on the
Internet, and how you perceive a difference (with regard to the degree
to which a person represents the school) between logging on at school or
at home.

-Joe