Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] introduction new lurker

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Sun Oct 27 20:51:00 2002

Dear Maartje,

Many people become excited about setting up a school after
beginning to think seriously about education, when there are
no schools that appeal to them in their immediate area.

Unfortunately, there are _many_ great difficulties that must
be faced in setting up a school. As with any small
business, you can expect to invest more time and money and
heartache than any other period of your life.

If you are trying to start a project which is counter to the
thrust and direction expected by our culture (such as
starting a Sudbury school) you can expect to alienate your
friends and family. You will probably find that your
children are more hurt by your attention to the project of
starting a school, than they would be hurt by a move.
Certainly you can expect your _finances_ to be more damaged
by efforts to start a school than they would be damaged by a
move.

You need a number of _very_ dedicated people, ready and able
to work full time with no pay during the period of
setting/up starting the school to make the school work (and
even if you are fortunate enough to get a school running,
those people can expect to be rewarded with only very little
pay). You need to live in an area where the laws and
bureaucracies will allow you to set up a school. You need
to be in an area where enough families will be interested in
this sort of education.

Any you need luck. Even after paying all these costs, your
school is certainly not guaranteed to succeed.

Enough people have actually braved these inhospitable odds
that some good schools actually exist. But there are always
many more people who start out excited about founding a
school than who manage to found a school, and many more
people who found a school than who manage to make it stable.

Many people, after realizing the great costs (emotional and
social, as well as physical and financial) decide that it is
far less expensive overall to move.

I certainly don't want to discourage people from founding
Sudbury schools. But I want to make sure that they have at
least some sense of the herculean task that they are setting
themselves, before they over-promise or overextend
themselves. I certainly hope that you take more than a
couple seconds to consider the advantages of moving to an
area with a Sudbury school.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org