Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model]definition of democracy

From: candy <highland_at_RURALNET.ORG>
Date: Thu Oct 3 19:13:01 2002

Hi Joe,
    I'm stuggling with what needs to be included in a definition of
democratic education in preparation for the IDEC in Albany. When you
say "democracy does not necessarily respect the rights of individuals or
minorities" it sounds like an oxymoron to me. Democracy MUST respect
the rights of individuals/minorities or it is not democracy by my
definition. I'm aware of abuses of individual rights which have
occurred in schools calling themselves "democratic", but I don't think
the fault is in the concept of democracy. Democratic school
communities view liberty for individuals and equality between school
members as intrinsic parts of what constitutes democracy. I don't
believe that democracy is ever an end in any case; rather it's a process
- a way of living that promotes individual development, diversity of
ideas, and free interactions among community members. Thanks for
listening - Candy Landvoigt