Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model]definition of democracy

From: Joseph Roach <josroach_at_email.com>
Date: Thu Oct 3 10:50:01 2002

Scott:

Does this mean that democracy is the end itself? Or is there some other driving reason?

I do not see democracy as a good end in itself, because democracy does not necessarily respect the rights of individuals or minorities. Tyranny can exist as easily in a democracy as in a monarchy.

If the reason for education is to encourage liberty for individuals and equality between members of the school, then democracy is the best method of rule. Democracy, as an end in itself, is empty.

David, was this what you were getting at?

Best regards,

Joe Roach
The New School
Newark, DE