RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model]Re: "ADD/ADHD" kids

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Mon Sep 2 10:06:01 2002

Shelli,

I am truly sorry for the pain which has come with the travails faced by
your daughter. It's really difficult to see someone we love go through
so much pain and make decisions we know they will likely regret and have
to live with for years.

Our daughter sounds very much like yours in several ways and has had
three children at a very young age. It was very difficult at first, and
I think the pain and misery of raising a child alone played a large part
in finding a good guy and eventually marrying him. Her romantic view of
a family caused her to want to have the other two children even though
the money wasn't quite right, and while the big family has caused it's
fair share of heartache, at least she has the support of a husband, and
we all know the rewards having kids brings that can offset the
challenges.

>>So I suppose, in a manner of speaking, that it is true to say that
Sudbury does not always accept
>>disabled children, just like they do not always admit white children
and female children and
>>stubborn children and redheaded children and so forth.

>No disrespect but you are comparing apples to oranges. Responsibility
or mental illness is not applicable
>to a skin color or religious belief. It is a real part of society and
the reality of that Joe, is these are the
>children that are going to grow up and vote on your laws, and your
social security that you will depend on.
>And our rigid thinking is not serving them. The Indigo children are
here in fact, to bust the system. And they are.

You missed my point. I am not comparing them - to the contrary:
disabled children are NOT categorically excluded from the school, just
like every other category of "special" children anyone can possibly
imagine.

> If a child already enrolled in traditional education did have a severe
case of ADD,
> could SVS change or rather, channel their energy into a new direction
that could
> serve them? At what age would programming be instilled in the children
that could
> not be responsible. Because I do believe that all children will be
responsible at
> some point; it may show up at age 5, 15, or 50.

What it is going to be difficult to explain here is precisely framed
within your criticism (and I used that term in the purest intellectual
form; I did not interpret any hostlity or dismay on your part, Shelli
:>) ). Everybody who's somebody understands nowadays that the dynamics
referred to as ADD, even in it's severest form, appear in only graphic
relief to the environment - the symptom class doesn't happen in a
vacuum.

And the Sudbury environment gives no graphic relief wherein ADD/ADHD
matters, or most often can even be detected.

That's why it is profoundly important to point out that ADD as a
category does not apply at Sudbury. What *does* apply is whether a
child is capable of not hurting other people, the building and it's
contents, or themselves (physically). These are the sole criteria upon
which parents, students and schools, in conference, determine that the
school is not the best place for a given child.

> so then I guess my question to you is who actually is responsible for
the ones who fall in
> between the cracks? Don't they have the right to an education?

That's a really big question, and I can only answer it from the
standpoint of a school that is predicated on giving children the right
to govern their own lives: that people who cannot exist in an open
environment should not be there. I believe that aside from disabilities
which call for assistance demanding personnel and equipment we cannot
afford, every child can exist in this environment. It is simply a
matter of whether it is important enough to them to be there.

> We cant all be Albert
> Einstein, some of us are healers, some of us are artists, some of us
scientists.

I don't really understand. You may not be aware that Sudbury schools
produce an inordinate number of healers, artists and musicians. In fact
we get criticized for that sometimes.

One last thing. I know the idea that there are children who are "turned
away from" Sudbury and thereby "fall through the cracks" provides a real
tug at the heartstrings (and I'm as big a sop as you will find!), but
the Reality is that the vast, vast majority of the decisions not to
enroll are made, in concert, by the family and the school. So we should
not waste our grieving for a situation which is largely nonexistent.

What IS sad, however, is the number of students we have seen that would
absolutely LOVE to come to the school, but the parents will not enroll
them, for reasons such as "my child wouldn't be able to handle the
responsibility" or "they won't learn anything".

-Joe