RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model]Re: "ADD/ADHD" kids

From: Joe Jackson <shoeless_at_jazztbone.com>
Date: Sun Sep 1 21:15:00 2002

> Second, the only thing I have disagreed with is that Sudbury does not
always take children
> with learning disabilities,

Shelli,

Sometimes the school and/or the family do not enroll in cases where it
seems that the child cannot take responsibility for themselves. In some
cases, this may be a child that would be determined to have learning
disabilities.

So I suppose, in a manner of speaking, that it is true to say that
Sudbury does not always accept disabled children, just like they do not
always admit white children and female children and stubborn children
and redheaded children and so forth.

I am left wondering: is it really your intent to criticize the school
for not admitting *all* children, *only* if they are "special"? Because
in my mind, it is obvious that if a student cannot be responsible for
themselves, for whatever reason, they need to be in an environment where
someone can take responsibility for them.

Aside from the fact that the entire model is predicated on catering to
students (of all categories and races and religions) who are *able* to
take responsibility for themselves, in our experience, it is clear to
the family when they come through the school that a Sudbury school is
definitely not a place with the resources and training and equipment
(and money!!) to give constant supervision and assistance to individuals
who cannot survive without it.

> which is in conflict with what Daniel says in the book, that there
> are no learning disabilities. Where posts on here have stated
otherwise.

I don't remember that part of the book off the top of my head - I'm not
saying he did not state that :) .

But I think it is important to point out that we are speaking of
"learning disability" as some sort of defined, understood term. It is
none of that. There is simply not a standing definition of the term
"learning disability" that cannot be (and is not currently being)
applied to pretty much everyone on the planet. We all know this.

So the reason I point this out is to ensure that we all understand that
"learning disability" is a coverall that is used to describe anyone from
slow readers/ADDers/dyslexics, all the way to people with strong
obsessive-compulsive symptoms, schizophrenic symptoms, Downs Syndrome,
etc. Are there folks at the acute end of this "scale" that would tend
to find a Sudbury School not being the best fit? I'm certain of it.

But is "learning disabled" a label with which it can be categorically
stated that Sudbury schools tend not to admit? Absolutely not, in fact
I would argue the opposite.

As the Sudbury environment is nominally an environment that forms around
the personalities and cultures formed by the students (as opposed to the
artificial school environments), we find that kids who have been (or, in
all likelihood, would be) categorized elsewhere as learning disabled
FLOCK to our schools. Ask anyone who works in one. We've had
Tourrette's, mild OCD, people who hear voices, folks coming to our
school. And that's just the staff! (just kidding) The only one who
didn't enroll was the Tourrette's and that's because the mom decided to
enroll her son elsewhere.

And people that would likely be labelled as such in an environment where
ADD/ADHD/ODD is apparent? You must be kidding. I think I just posted
about that, and I honestly cannot say that I don't believe that two
thirds of the boys in our school would be labelled ADD. Seriously.

So (in an attempt to wrap my arms around all of this) I think everything
I am saying here is that I think it is possible to simultaneously say
that there is nothing such as "learning disabled" as a category, and
that every child (without regard to what label would be applied to him
or her) should not be enrolled in the school. Heck, I can't even say
that Sudbury schools do what I say they do, which is not enroll kids
that cannot take responsibility for themselves. Believe me, if the
family and the student wants to try, our enrollment people are really
hard-pressed to turn away people that look like they have the potential
to live on their own terms.

-Joe Jackson