Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model]How was the Conference?

From: Dana Matthew Bennis <dbennis12_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Aug 26 11:30:00 2002

Dear David,

This is Dana Bennis, teacher at The Albany Free School and employee of
AERO. I traveled to the IDEC with 3 students as well as with Jerry Mintz
from AERO. The conference was excellent! There were about 120 attendees
for the entire program, and around 200 including all those who came for at
least some time. There were representatives from democratic schools in
Japan, India, Nepal, Australia, New Zealand, US, England, Germany,
Thailand, and Israel. There was a weekend program with lectures and
discussions, and an open week program where all those attending decide what
to do. That second section turned into a group brainstorm on how to expand
democratic education to a larger audience.

The exciting part for The Albany Free School and AERO is that we had
fundraised to go to this conference so that we could make a proposal to
host the next IDEC in Albany. The proposal was passed! We are starting
to plan for the conference, which will be most likely in July, right away.
I'll give you more details as they are decided. It has the potential to be
a very important conference, being in the US for the first time, and the
education systems of the US and the rest of the world needing to know that
there is a better option out there. At the IDEC in NZ, we had a lot of
conversation about what those involved with democratic schools can do for
democratic education regionally and world-wide.

Included among those attending the IDEC was the Booroobin Sudbury
School. It was great to meet with Derek, who I believe is on this list, as
well as another teacher and 2 students from Booroobin.

If anyone has more questions about the conference, please send your
questions, or email me personally at dbennis12_at_yahoo.com. There is an
IDEC listserve, for those of you interested. I can add you to it, just
send me an email.

Dana Bennis