Re: DSM: A Latin [and Greek] Lesson (was: a 'brief' word on education)

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 14:27:21 EST

Hi Darren and Mary Rose, and others interested in the topic:

Darren is quite right about the etymology of "education" and "pedagogy". (I am among other things a linguist, and can
vouch for the accuracy of his statements.)

But what of the person -- child or adult -- who does not wish to be "led forth" in any way, or to learn anything
whatsoever?

I am sure that there are many people the world over who just do not want to learn anything. Even I, who do want to learn
things much of the time, have my moments when I just don't want to learn anything, and just want to "vegetate": like
when I tune into Benny Hill. (My wife gets a bit disgusted with me for doing this! Or at least she used to: she's got
accustomed to this sort of thing from me by now.)

Freedom means to be able to tune into Benny Hill all day and every day for the rest of one's life: like the character
Onslow in the British TV show Keeping Up Apperances. Education -- no matter what meaning is given to the word
"education" -- does not allow this.

Even Plato might not have allowed play to the children had the children not "improved" in some way by playing: that is,
by learning something through the play. This is the thin end of the wedge: once you think there is a need for the
children to "improve", you start to say: "This activity is good, that activity is bad".

And the thin end of the wedge does not always remain thin. That is probably why, as Mary Rose correctly said, "very few
copies match the original in quality and intent". Freedom gets gradually eroded in order to promote education -- as
apparently happened even with Plato.

The problem is the intent, especially (but not exclusively) the stated intent. If the intent -- stated or otherwise --
is to educate, the thin end of the wedge does not remain thin. In the copies, it thickens, until eventually the copy
does not resemble the original at all. And with time, it thickens even in the original: as in Krishnamurti's and
Tagore's and Aurobindo's schools (to give just a few examples).

But as Bill rightly says, a child is not an "improver" -- and of course, neither is an adult. At least, not necessarily:
everyone, regardless of age, has the right not to improve if he or she so desires.

Once we take this attitude, there is no wedge, and the situation cannot deteriorate, and the copy remains forever just
as good as the original -- which also does not change for the worse over time.

Best wishes,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>

PS: (As for burning fine furniture, as in Mary Rose's analogy, the Zen Buddhists advocate buring even their own Sacred
Scriptures! That's the right attitude.)